Banana bread is such an addiction of mine. I love it so much, but we all know it is not entirely the most nutritional or diet friendly breakfast there is as most recipes contain a large amount of sugar and butter to get that gorgeous sweet taste. However, I am really trying to be more mindful of what I eat this year. So I set off on a Pinterest mission to find a recipe that I could bake myself, and that was a healthier alternative and I think this Healthy Banana & Oats Breakfast Bread is keeper.
I work in the city so I have a bit of a commute to get to work, and I am not always hungry at the time I need to leave for work, so grabbing something quick is really important to me. This Healthy Banana & Oats Breakfast Bread recipe has been great for me, not only does it keep for the whole working week but it can also be frozen to be enjoyed later. I personally love to toast mine and add a bit of cinnamon butter (if I am feeling extra naughty). The other thing I have really found beneficial to me is the rolled oats in the recipe, with their low GI and help to keep me feeling fuller for longer.
Now don’t be fooled by the name, this recipe is also great for an afternoon snack or even a lazy lunch. Enjoy with a nice cuppa tea, put your feet up and you are onto something wonderful.
- 1 tbsp flax seed, ground (+ 3 tbsp water)
- 5 medium sized bananas, mashed (1¾ cup mashed bananas)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ cup quick cooking or small flakes oats
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup white whole wheat or spelt flour
- Preheat oven to 360F or 180C. Lightly oil a standard square baking or loaf pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax seed and water. Set aside to thicken while mixing together other ingredients. This is your flax 'egg'.
- In a large size bowl, mash bananas. Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, cane sugar, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, sea salt and baking powder to the banana mixture.
- Give the thickened flax egg an extra stir if it is not fully combined with water. Add to the wet ingredients. Whisk together with a hand or electric mixture until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the quick cooking oats to the wet ingredients. Stir together. Add flour and baking soda to the banana bread batter. Combine the baking soda and flour together on top of the banana bread batter before folding it into the batter. With a spatula, fold the flour and baking soda into the banana bread batter until fully combined. Leave to thicken for a minute before adding it to the loaf pan.
- Add banana bread batter into the oiled loaf pan. Smooth out the top of the batter with the back of a cold spoon.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clear.
- Leave to cool down in pan & voila your Banana & Oat Breakfast cake is ready to be devoured and enjoyed!
- Feel free to substitute white vinegar for the apple cider vinegar as well as light brown sugar for the cane sugar. This Banana Bread tastes even better and banana-y the next day after the flavors have been left to fully develop in the baked banana bead. This banana bread keeps for up to 5 days in a sealed container and also freezes well for up to a month (if it lasts that long!).
Don’t loose this recipe – So make sure you pin it for later enjoyment!